Wednesday, October 29, 2008

That Time of Year

It is a very exciting time of year--pomegranate season!



While looking for some organic tomatoes at Kroger, I found that they are selling my favorite seasonal fruit. In a slow movement towards locavorism, I'm trying to be a seasonal vegetarian. (Seasonal as in "using what is in season," not "only vegetarian in certain seasons.") I didn't find the tomatoes, which is sad; but, I forgot about pomegranates. I love pomegranates. I know they are not quite the same thing, but "Chop Wood, Carry Water" and all that jazz.

Here is a list of good reasons why pomegranates should be loved by all--or at least by me.

1. Mrs. Shanks, my 6th grade World Civilization teacher. She is responsible for my first utterance of the Greek language and my first taste of pomegranates. On that day, look ago, I remember wiping my stained hands onto the moon of my over-sized, printed tee . The howling wolf looked almost sad that the moon was bleeding above its head. I still have that t-shirt . . . okay, the shirt stuff is all elaboration. But, Mrs. Shanks still rocks!

2. Healthy, healthy, healthy. Pomegranates give you 40% of your daily amount of potassium, vitamin c, vitamin e, vitamin a, folic acid, and other goodies.

3. Antioxidants. Because cancer is kind of bad.

4. Three pomegranate seeds can keep you in Tartarus for a substantial portion of the year. Honestly. Ask Persephone, she still remembers. But maybe, while you are waiting for spring, you can become an important underworld deity. Think of the Power!

5. You can use the seeds in tandem with toilet paper to throw on people's houses this Halloween. Though, the custom may then be referred to as "tamponing," due to the stains. Finger licking good.

6. Scholars suspect that the "apple" that Adam and Eve ate from was actually a "pomegranate." So, that means that you can eat of the Tree of knowledge for months at a time. Just don't tease God by saying: "Nah nah nah na boo boo, what are you going to do about it now?" Smiting may be the answer.





7. It is called Jewel of the Winter. And jewels are a gay's best friend. Also, there is Pama liqueur, and liqueur is a gay's best friend.

8. Pomegranate lassi. Nuff said.

9. What's good enough for Needle, is good enough for me. And, if you don't know Conan the Barbarian Cartoon series . . . well, yeah.

10. There is no ten. Winter sucks, and we should all take time to remember that it sucks, and that its sucking doesn't stop until spring. So, eat a pomegranate next to your space heater and remember that some people are curling up inside a dumpster because it is the only way they can stay warm this winter.

Enjoy!


Links and Videos:

Homeless:

For the homeless, a quest to stay warm

Pama:

Pama Liqueur

Pomegranate Lassi:

Pomegranate Lassi

Conan:

No comments: